follow the adventures of kim and kelly through europe! visit the places we see, meet the people we meet, take in the sights, and be amazed at the goodness of the Lord as he provides, protects and guides us!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Our first Day in my Aunt and Uncle's Village was relaxing - complete with a 2 hour nap for me and a 4 hour nap for Kelly :) Once we woke from the dead, though... we had ourselves a little adventure. After catching up with my Aunt and Unlce we went on a walk around the village, bought some dinner at a local store and had a picnic in a park. After that we stopped by this 12th century church 50 yards from their house and my curiousity got the best of me. Next to the church there was this fenced in area in front of an old stone house - the front door was wide open. I couldn't resist. I was curious to see if someone lived there or if it was abandoned so I started walking up to it. A jolly old Frenchman with a white beard appeared as if out of nowhere and greeted me "bonjour!" I said one of the only French words I know in return - "bonjour!" I asked him if he spoke English, and sure enough, he did. Kelly and I told him that we were visiting some family and we were just taking a look at the beautiful church. He then offered to take us on a tour! Inside it was breath taking... a 900 year old church!?! I've never seen anything that's 900 years old! It was breathtaking... and a bit sad.... the church is very empty even for Saturday Mass every week. The spiritual climate here is discouraging to say the least... my aunt and uncle experience that first hand as they work to form a core group to launch a church here.

I must stop there... gotta catch the train into Paris. Spending the night in a hostile before catching a 7am flight to Rome in the morning! :) more to come... and pictures!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the thought of being in something 900 years old! Breathtaking! And in a place that people worshiped our God in 900 years ago! Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete