follow the adventures of kim and kelly through europe! visit the places we see, meet the people we meet, take in the sights, and be amazed at the goodness of the Lord as he provides, protects and guides us!

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Reflections....

(posted by Kim)
Reflections after Florence

Our second and final evening in Florence, Kelly and I climbed the seemingly endless flight of stairs up to the Piazza di Michelangelo (cardio workout, check!) to take in the view that we read about in our tour book. The Lord graciously allowed us to time our day perfectly and we got to the top just as the sun was setting over Florence. I can honestly say I have never seen anything like this before. Just look at the picture for yourself -


"I lift up my eyes to the hills, From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved, her who keeps you will not slumber." Ps 121:1-3

The sun is setting over the river and casting flecks of color on the buildings and the rooftops. The very tall dome in the right of the picture is the Duomo, an ancient church. It was actually built without a roof over the dome, which was left uncovered for 11 years. Finally, an architect who was up for the challenge came along and designed a covering for the dome made of brick tile. The small rounded dome to the left of the Duomo is the baptistry, a smaller building in the courtyard of the church. The other prominent structure in the skyline is another church which was right down the street from where we stayed.

I love that the skyline is so simple and the most beautiful structures are the churches which have been there for centuries. There is little to no new construction in these cities and it’s fascinating to think about how people come and go but the structures, made mostly of brick stone, or marble have remained for years and years.... and yet even they are here only for a moment in time. Oh, to think of the eternal nature of our God - who transcends time and space. But how he cares for me and knows me and loves me and provides for and protects me and delights in changing me, molding me and making me more like Christ and less like myself. Sometimes I feel like that must be an exhausting job, even for the Savior of the World! The depth of sin and selfishness and hard-hearted rebellion from which he Lord has pulled me from was not a small thing. Oh, but to look upon this sunset tonight. The one who keeps me does not slumber or sleep. He is here. Right now. With me. This sunset is a love note from my Lord. This sunset is for me tonight. There is nothing like this in all the world. Thank you, Lord. I love you, too.


Some other sights from Florence:

A cute man playing accordion on the street just across from the restaurant where we ate lunch and where I had my first cannoli ever! (I suppose I’m ruined forever, having my first one in Italy!) I paid this gentleman one Euro to take his picture and he even smiled a little for me!






We saw the Pittsburgh Youth Orchestra perform in a Piazza in Florence. As Kelly and I walked toward the music which we could hear down the street as we approached the courtyard, something in my heart was awakened. It’s hard to explain, but there is something about music - strings, in particular, along with a full orchestra that awakens my heart to worship.


No comments:

Post a Comment